Spotlight on Sport: Ultimate Frisbee
Ultimate (aka Frisbee) started at DMU in 2004 and has grown to be a good competitive sports club whilst enjoying a regular social gathering. The club flourished for many years and those that have enjoyed being a part of Ultimate Frisbee have continued their friendship and love of Ultimate with T.O.A.D (The Old Aged Demons – alumni team) long past leaving university.
Ultimate is a mixed sport with both men and women competing on the same field with an emphasis on SotG (Spirit of the Game). Everyone on the pitch is the referee so it is an honest sport that has a lot to offer participants throughout their lives as well as at university.
This year,we are working with Red Leicester Ultimate Club (the local Leicester residential side) so we are able to offer Fresher’s coaching that has seen many players go on to play for their Country and win medals at European and World Championships. There will be the option for players to go to a foreign tournament, experience Beach Ultimate as well as the many Indoor and Outdoor Tournaments on offer.
Let’s not forget the social aspect of the sport though. Obviously the regular weekly socials are great fun, but Ultimate runs in tournament formats over weekends. These are always fantastic events, with sports during the day and meeting up with other teams at night, all pre-arranged for you.
What is your most memorable moment from last season?
The Leicester Cup – a day of Ultimate with local teams followed by the social. Reunited with T.O.A.D members and having a fantastic time with players from across Leicestershire area and the Jesters (Leicester Uni… booooo 😉 )
What are your aspirations for this season?
This year we are reinvigorating the club, bringing in the local team to help with coaching which we hope to contribute towards good results of our beginner’s tournaments that we have lined up. There will be at least one tournament every month, the first on 10th & 11th October in a neighbouring town, Loughborough.
This season our aim is to build a club of friends that want to enjoy themselves off the pitch as much as on it in line with the Spirit of the sport.
How much does it cost to join your club?
- The university requires members joining Demons Ultimate Club to purchase the DSU Active Card Just like all the other sports team members have to.(£40)
- It is also a requirement by UKU (UK Ultimate, our governing body) that you register yourself. This is only £5.
- Other than this, most of the costs of playing a tournament over the course of the weekend will be met by the club, only a nominal payment is required.
- Training is free at our indoor practices and £1 on a Thursday evening with Red
- You have to provide your own playing kit.
Why should students join your club?
- Something new
- A fun, fast paced, mixed team sport
- Emphasises fair play
- Cheap to take part in
- Social side of the sport is incredible at tournaments
- Ultimate is a tight knit community full of friendly people. You will make contacts wherever you , who can put you in touch with other people. Perfect for travelling and meeting new people.
- Plenty of opportunity to holiday as part of a tournament abroad.
To join DMU Ultimate Frisbee, find them at the Sports and Societies Fair on Thursday 1st October or get in touch via their links below:
FACEBOOK: Demon’s Ultimate
DSU LINK: www.demontfortstudents.com/sport/6977/