Leicester University did the rugby double over De Montfort to draw the curtain on Varsity 2013 at Welford Road.

Leicester’s women have now won 10 in a row as they outclassed DMU to win 27-0 in the opening match of the night. The men failed to regain their crown in a 26-3 defeat.

On a bitterly cold night at the home of the Leicester Tigers, Leicester ran in five tries despite resolute defending from DMU. They were camped out in their own half for most of the game.

The first try of the night came from winger Gemma Pierce as she finished off Fiona Fletcher’s good work in midfield. Leicester were unable to score again until just before the break. Centre Fletcher scored just to the right of the posts for a 10-0 lead at the interval.

In the early stages of the second, Fletcher added to her tally with a brilliant move. She took a switch pass on the 22-metre line, beat two defenders on a mighty run to the try line.

This was quickly followed by the fourth, flanker Candice Grayson touched down from close range. Jessica Wells then put the game beyond any doubt when she ran in on the right hand side to complete the scoring.

In the men’s, Leicester sit a couple of leagues higher than DMU in the British Universities & College Sport (BUCS) competitions. They showed their quality by scoring two early penalties from captain Jonathan Pryce and three tries to claim victory.

With a quarter of the match played, Leicester led 13-0 thanks to two hasty tries. A quick break from inside their own half ended with winger Jack Arundell scoring the opening try of the half, which was converted by Pryce.

The second half started with a couple of penalties. Pryce kicked over brilliantly from 40 metres out. DMU finally scored their first points of the night when Leighton Clarke landed one through the middle of the posts.

Any chance of a comeback from De Montfort was quickly abolished when UoL lock George Newnham went over from a close-range lineout. The pre-game favourites led 21-3 with 20 minutes remaining of the tie.

Full-back Calum Howard started an immense break in his own half and it was left to Arundell to finish the move and the game off.

Both teams will be looking for revenge in next year’s Varsity clash.