SkyBet Championship

Saturday 14th September 2013

Kickoff: 15:00


Leicester City 2-0 Wigan Athletic


Leicester City consolidated their position in the top six on Saturday afternoon with a comfortable victory over a subdued Wigan Athletic side.


Both sides went into the game having lost only one of their opening five matches in the SkyBet Championship. It was set to be an entertaining affair between two of the early season promotion favourites.


However, Wigan relegated from the Premier League last season, failed to really threaten in a game which saw the Foxes enjoy the majority of the ball possession and create most of the goal-scoring opportunities.


The Foxes sat in 5th place, two points ahead of the day’s opponents despite losing 2-1 to Charlton Athletic before the international break. They would be looking to get their performances back on track and pick up all three points against Owen Coyle’s classy outfit.


It was the home side that started the game the brightest, with some neat interchanges between the newly-trusted attacking partnership of David Nugent and Jamie Vardy.


The first chance of the afternoon fell to Nugent, who found space on the edge of the area, but his half-volley didn’t trouble Wigan keeper’ Scott Carson as it drifted way wide.


A well worked move down the left five minutes later produced a corner for the Foxes, which resulted in the game’s opening goal.


Anthony Knockaert’s pin-point delivery found the head of Liam Moore, who drilled home a header to score his first goal for the club. A dream day for the local boy.


Leicester could and should have increased their lead on the half hour mark as Nugent found himself with time and space in the area once again. The striker must have seen the net rippling before he struck the ball, but the opportunity past as he fired his volley wide.


The visitors, despite chasing shadows for much of the first half, as Leicester patiently passed the ball from back to front to work their openings, still posed a threat moving forward with Ben Watson and Shaun Maloney linking up nicely. Watson came the closest not long after Moore’s opener, with a rifled effort which went agonisingly wide of Schmeichel’s right post.


Wigan almost had Leicester rueing their missed opportunities on the stroke of half-time when Leon Barnett found space in the box. His shot was parried wide by Schmeichel; a let off for the Foxes.


Leicester deserved to be ahead at half-time and Wigan would have little to complain about after a disappointing first-half for the visitors.


The second half would continue in much the same vein, with Leicester in the ascendency posing a potent threat down both flanks.


Lloyd Dyer’s pace was a continual threat for the home side and a neat turn on 50 minutes inside his own half allowed him to surge towards the Wigan goal on the counter-attack. The winger picked out Nugent’s run behind the defence, but the ball rolled through for Carson to smother. Another wasted opportunity which summed up Leicester’s afternoon; really there should have been clear daylight between the two teams.


On 80 minutes Leicester finally got the goal that had eluded them since Moore’s first-half opener. Jean Beausejour brought down Ritchie De Laet in the area, leaving the referee with no option but to point to the spot.


Nugent duly stepped up and fired the ball past Carson to make the score 2-0 to the home side and put any lingering worries to bed.


When the final whistle blew, there was relief for the home side who should have really seen the game off much sooner. However it was a professional performance from the Foxes, who comfortably defeated their opponents who didn’t live up to the much higher expectations placed on them ahead of the game. Perhaps the Latics, FA Cup winners last season, had one eye on their opening Europa League game in mid-week.


City will be hoping for another win against Blackburn Rovers on Tuesday 17 September to make it a 6 point haul at the King Power in the space of 4 days.


Speaking after the game goalscorer Liam Moore said: “I’m a local Leicester lad and scoring for the club is a dream come true.”


Nigel Pearson said: “It was a good game and we deserved to win it. I am delighted for Moore; it’s about time he scored.


“I think we controlled the game for the majority today.


“During Wigan’s best periods we were still pretty comfortable. I was a good day for us.”


Leicester City: Schmeichel; De Laet; Konchesky; Morgan; Moore; Drinkwater; King; Dyer (Wood 80’); Knockaert (Hammond 79’); Vardy (Schlupp 90’); Nugent. Unused subs: Logan; Whitbread; Miquel; Hopper.


Wigan Athletic: Carson; Rogne; Boyce; Beausejour; Barnett; Watson; Maloney (McClean 62’); Gomez (McManaman 55’) Espinoza (Powell 55’); Perch; Fortune. Unused subs: Nicholls; Shotton; McCann; McArthur.


Attendance: 21,810 (883 away)


Liam Moore








Local lad Liam Moore scores his first goal for the club in a 2-0 victory over Wigan Athletic on Saturday.