sky-bet-championship-logoLeicester City 2-2 Watford


Danny Drinkwater earned his side a late point as Leicester City completed a dramatic comeback to draw 2-2 with Watford at the King Power Stadium this afternoon.


Watford raced to a 2-0 first-half lead with goals from Fernando Forestieri and Sean Murray before Matty James pulled one back on the stroke of half-time.


The home side piled on the pressure in the second half but to little avail, until Drinkwater fired in a superb effort from 25 yards to send the Foxes 11 points clear at the top of the Sky Bet Championship.


The opening 10 minutes saw both sides struggling to cope with the blustery conditions which were proving to be an influential factor.


Leicester provided the early dominance with the inform Jamie Vardy harrowing the Watford defence as Leicester’s confidence following their 9 game winning streak was evident.


But, it was the visitors who broke the deadlock completely against the run of play. Troy Deeney with a deftly cross from the left which was met by the head of Fernando Forestieri, who diverted the ball into the bottom corner passed a wrong-footed Kasper Schmeichel.


Leicester were left incensed by the goal as there was suspicion of the Italian being offside, despite the linesman failing to flag.


The opener left Leicester rattled as Watford applied constant pressure, penning The Foxes deep in their own half.


It wasn’t until the 35 minute mark that the Championship leaders provided any real attacking impetus. And they could have found themselves level when Matty James’ corner almost caught out Manuel Almunia as the wind played it’s part once again.


As half-time neared, Watford would capitalise on Leicester’s wasteful possession and on 38 minutes Sean Murray arrowed in a 25 yard strike to double the Hornets lead.


Leicester needed a quick response and they got it just minutes later when Matty James slotted a cool volley passed Almunia from six yards to reduce the deficit.


The second period saw the home side continue from where they had left off in the first, as they looked to complete a comeback.


Twice Lloyd Dyer proved too hot to handle as he beat three men before pulling back from the by-line, but Watford’s defence stood strong.


As Watford remained resilient, the Foxes had to rely on patience to work their openings. But, with no real threat of an equaliser they left themselves open at the back and were lucky the visitors wasted opportunities to extend their lead.


With time running out Nigel Pearson introduced January signings Kevin Phillips and Riyad Mahrez. The last time Phillips featured against Watford, he scored the winner to send Crystal Palace into the Premier League in last season’s play-off final.


Heroics from Almunia kept Leicester at bay on 85 minutes when Nugent’s mishit was diverted goal wards by Paul Konchesky from close range, only for the Spanish keeper to clear off the line.


Finally Leicester got their just rewards in the 3rd minute of injury time when Drinkwater lashed his effort into the top corner from 25 yards to ensure the Foxes a valuable point.



Leicester City: Schmeichel; De Laet; Konchesky; Drinkwater; Morgan; James; Vardy (Phillips 74’); Dyer (Mahrez 76); Knockaert; Wasilewski (Wood 84’); Nugent


Watford: Almunia; Angella; Ekstrand; Battochio; Deeney; Forestieri; Murray; Faraoni (Pudil 71’); Anya; Cassetti; Tozser


Attendance: 23,635