I don’t know about you, but I for one know that I have a playlist of songs for pretty much every occasion. One for pre-drinks, one for the shower, one for the gym, a happy playlist, and a self-care playlist.
Working hard and keeping on top of things is a key skill, but taking time out for yourself and remembering to put yourself first is even more important. Mental Health Awareness Week passed by earlier this month, and with this in mind, there has been a greater emphasis on the process of self-care.
It is far too easy to forget to look after yourself – especially at uni, what with constant deadlines, money pressures, part-time jobs, being away from home and any other issues that might be going on. There’s just so much to be getting on with, and quite often it feels like there’s not enough time to do it in. However, no matter how crazy things get, it’s always a good idea to just take a day off with the purpose of self-care, whether you play video games, go to a coffee shop and eat three slices of red velvet cake, take a walk, curl up and watch Netflix, listen to music, or something else entirely.
As I said earlier on, I have a playlist for absolutely everything else, so it seemed like a good shout to create a self-care playlist as well! There are thirty songs in this particular playlist. It includes a mix of upbeat and chilled out pop, indie and pop-punk songs, some by artists recently featured in the charts such as Dua Lipa, Post Malone and Jess Glynne, and older bands such as Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nickleback and The 1975.
- Charlemagne – The Blossoms
- Chocolate – The 1975
- The Zephyr Song – Red Hot Chili Peppers
- These Days – Jess Glynne and Rudimental
- The Sound – The 1975
- On Melancholy Hill – Gorillaz
- Welcome Home Son – Radical Face
- How You Remind Me – Nickleback
- Laidback – Rat Boy
- Moving To New York – The Wombats
- Killing Moon – Roman Remains
- Better Now – Post Malone
- Sticks ‘N’ Stones – Jamie T
- Only Love – Ben Howard
- Kids – MGMT
- Waiting For Superman – Daughtry
- This Is Me – Keala Settle
- The Last Time Again – Lit
- One Week – Barenaked Ladies
- All The Small Things – Blink 182
- Before I Fall To Pieces – Razorlight
- You’re In Love With A Psycho – Kasabian
- The River – Live
- Creep – Radiohead
- Wake Up – Arcade Fire
- Naïve – The Kooks
- IDGAF – Dua Lipa
- Dreaming Of You – The Coral
- I Don’t Care – Fall Out Boy
- All Kinds Of Time – Fountains Of Wayne
Here’s a link to the Spotify playlist if you want to give my self-care playlist a listen.
Hopefully, there’s something in there for everyone, and if not then it’s easy to create your own on Spotify or YouTube. Whatever you decide to do with your time, try to make time for at least an hour of self-care per day – it does the world of good, honestly!