Spotlight on Sport: Jiu Jitsu
DMU Jiu Jitsu club will teach you practical self-defence based on technique and skill rather than size and strength. Jiu Jitsu techniques can be seen in all sorts of areas, including various self-defence classes, the police, security settings and more. At the same time, we will get you fitter! We teach how to defend against a wide variety of attacks including weapons, multiple attackers and from various different situations. Everyone is welcome – men and women, old and young, beginners and experienced martial artists.
The Jiu Jitsu club is one of DMU’s biggest and longest running martial arts clubs, running for over 25 years.
What were the club’s accomplishments last season?
- National Competitions: Won bronze, silver and gold medals
- University Varsity: Winners vs Leicester University
- Club members earned various levels in gradings
What is your most memorable moment from last season?
- Halloween Party – fun! fun! fun!
- Christmas party & special sessions
- Club holiday to Peak district – three-day trip to one of the most beautiful place in England! Romping up mountains, climbing down caves, nearly getting blown away by the wind
- Party nights, film nights, BBQs and a bit of Burlesque
What are your aspirations for this season?
- National events (meeting other clubs from around the country)
- National Ball
- Varsity competitions against Leicester University
- Grading’s for club members to help them level up
How much does it cost to join your club?
£1.50 per session. The first session is free to try.
Why should students join your club?
Jiu Jitsu will change you not only physically, but also mentally in a positive direction. No matter if you have experience of martial arts or not, feel free to pop in and enjoy the time with us. It is not only to learn to be strong, but also to make lifelong friends.
To join DMU Jiu Jitsu , find them at the Sports and Societies Fair on Thursday 1st October or get in touch via their links below:
FACEBOOK: DMU Jitsu (for general information)